The former Grundtvig’s Church chapel has been transformed into a beautiful and ample dance space for children and young people.
From chapel and crematorium to a house of dance and movement, the Dance Chapel next to Grundtvigs Church was originally built in 1908 as a last stop for the deceased. But since 2012, the building has become a lively space for all sorts of dance, from contemporary and urban to belly and ballet. Its thorough overhaul speaks to children and young people from the neighbourhood, and has resulted in new international attention for its dance company.
Dansekapellet hosts five dance studios, two of which are for performances and the last three are for practicing alone or in smaller groups. Though spacious, the oval Kuppelsal is an intimate, atmospheric hall that can accommodate 350 people.
With respect for its history, Dansekapellet’s architects have preserved many beautiful character traits from its original construction.
From the outside the transformation of the domed building can barely be seen. Yet inside, its complex labyrinthine hallways, vaulted ceilings and windows and load-bearing columns have been retained, as well as several floors and external walls.
At the same time, the building has been altered to become a more alluring, open and bright space. All this combines to make Dansekapellet a perfect example of architecture that encourages movement, play, creative expression and performance.